Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Bra-dyssey continues! Bravissimo Alana

Well, it's that time again.  After the Ewa Michalaks didn't quite work out, I said to myself, well, maybe the bras I'd been getting were just stretched out and decided to try ordering a new batch in the same 32G size.

No dice--a couple of minutes on and I was already in a world of pain.  So, it's time to start trying some new brands (and new companies--as much as I like Her Room, their selection above G (UK) is pretty depressing).  Unfortunately, there are not a lot of domestic options, so I turned to a British site I'd heard about--Bravissimo.  They stock a fair amount of bras by Freya and Panache, and they also have their own label.  Also worth noting is the fact that they are significantly cheaper on bra styles that are also carried by online retailers stateside (we're talking $45 for a $70 bra).  So, I took a look and put together an order based on a) what looked pretty b) previous bra fit experiences, c) reviews and d) what my husband liked.

Well, that order came in today, and I was disappointed.  First off, three of the four bras I ordered were apparently unlined (I prefer light padding or at least a lining to keep my nipples from poking out).  I still gave them a shot, though, and our next few posts will be detailing my findings.  Unfortunately for me, none of the ones from this order are going to give me the support I need, so they're all going to go back.  I'll let you know how Bravissimo is about returns as soon as I find out.  On a related note, I tried a couple different styles of their house brand, and a Freya--I skipped Panache altogether because they don't appear to make lined/padded bras at all.


Bravissimo Alana


Once again, photo from the site I ordered from (sorry,I try to limit the number of pictures of my boobs on the internet).

According to Bravissimo, this is one of their best sellers.  And, you must admit, it's cute and sexy with its lacy cup.  I measured myself again, and, after seeing a few reviews that suggested it fit similar to Freya, and looking at my notes, I decided to try it in a 30H (UK).  I went with the turquoise you see here because the hubby liked that one the best.

I was disappointed when I discovered it was unlined (I mean, seriously, do other girls nips not poke out when they get cold?).  I know unlined styles tend to be popular among girls my size--the complaint you see with padded bras is always, "Aren't my boobs big enough already?"  I still went ahead and gave it a try, though, because my old bras are putting me in some serious pain.

Surprisingly, it mostly fit (the cups looked really small when I pulled it out of the box).  However, once I had it on for a little while, I could tell the shoulder straps were doing most of the work (OW!) and the cups were shaped really weird.  The hubby said they were torpedo shaped, but I found them to be oddly flat on top, like the bottom of the cup was lifting me up and in and the top of the cup was pushing them down and out--my nipples were getting aimed almost sideways, and I was poking out the top a little.  
Only slight less lumpy, at least on the left.

It was really bizarre.  I've never had a bra push me up and push me down at the same time.  It was not flattering, and made my boobs look smaller.  Some girls like that sort of effect, but I'm okay with my boobs being right out there--it distracts from my belly fat (even for me) and works well as a distraction.  Of course, I don't get the catcalls other girls say they do, either.  My boobs are one of my best physical features--I got 'em, I'd like to flaunt 'em.  Overall, the shape of the cup was just wrong--my tatas aren't shaped like that.

Also worth noting is the fabric is kinda crappy.  I don't have anything against polyester and man made fibers, but the fabric this one was made out of was not the most pleasant.  It looked okay, but....

Definitely not for me.

Pros:
--affordable
--wide and cheerful color selection (lime green and bright pink, among other colors)

Cons:
--bizarre cup shape
--band runs a little big (a 28 would probably give me sufficient support, but I don't like it enough to try)
--sleazy fabric
minimizes (might be a pro for some)
unlined (might be a pro for some)

No comments:

Post a Comment